Friday, March 27, 2015

Day 41: Seeing is Believing

Read John 9-10

John Chapter 9 is not an extremely long chapter but what it lacks in length it more than makes up for with its impact.
As he passed by, he saw a man blind from birth. And his disciples asked him, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?” -John 9:1-2
The disciples were curious as to why this man was punished with blindness. They considered him as a puzzle that needed to be solved. As humans we often try to find a reason for everything. We believe that there must be a reason as to why something happens that goes beyond coincidence.
Jesus answered, “It was not that this man sinned, or his parents, but that the works of God might be displayed in him. We must work the works of him who sent me while it is day; night is coming, when no one can work. -John 9:3-4
Jesus simply states that the man was born blind so “God’s might” can been shown off. This is the part of the chapter I believe each one of us can actually learn from.

Why do bad things happen to good people?
Why did I fail this test?
Why did you take this person away from me?

These are all questions that we attempt to find an answer for. The question we should be asking on the other hand is: How can your power be displayed through this suffering?

This chapter really impacted me because it helped answer one of the questions that I had no answer to. As many of you know in 2010 I had a stroke. By looking at me you would never be able to tell. I have not had set backs or physical disabilities since I had my stroke. I sometimes wonder why it happened. After reading this chapter I realized that it does not matter why I had a stoke, yet what is more important is that that God’s might can be displayed in me.

- Stan Philip

No comments :

Post a Comment