Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Day 32: Faith Receives Grace


Chapters 18 and 19 in the Gospel according to Luke are so rich in accounts of Christ’s interactions and parables that depict how Jesus Christ truly cares for us. There are so many lessons that are taught to us just within the span of reading those two chapters. The various lessons that are exemplified through the use of these parables are very applicable to the lives we live today.

I will take this time to focus on what stuck out to me the most:
Luke 18:35-43: A Blind Beggar Receives His Sight

Reading this portion of the passage really hit home for me. A blind beggar RECEIVED his eyesight after pleading for mercy! This man, being a blind beggar, was viewed as an outcast in the society he lived in. This society casted a negative outlook on him, one that “indicated” that he was not worthy of God’s glory, sweet love, and compassion. On the other hand, what really matters is that by the GRACE of God, such judgments and stereotypes are not relevant to God’s greater plan for you! Jesus Christ was sent here for that sake of ALL of mankind. All we need is a sense of faith that will allow us to receive grace and to completely rely on God.

I wanted to propose a few questions that helped me look at the passage differently:

  1. Although the Blind man’s problem was pretty evident, Jesus still asked him, “What do you want me to do for you?” Based off of your understanding and beliefs, why do you think Jesus did not instantly heal the beggar of his evident blindness?

    I felt that this alludes back to Mathew 7:7. "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.”
  2. I was curious as to why Jesus did not say that he himself healed the blind beggar, but said that the beggar’s faith healed him?

    I went to Porch this week and the speaker was talking about grace. God’s grace has always been there for us, but it is up to us to accept it. I feel that this concept can also be applied to this question to some extent. The faith that the beggar had in the power of Jesus’ healing is what allowed him to accept God’s grace.
Why this hit home for me?
Okay I’m about to get a bit personal here! I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (MS) about 5 years ago. People tend to note that I have a fairly positive outlook on my life in terms of how MS affects me. BUT WHY? I honestly do not have a distinct answer for that. Partially, it is because of God’s Grace that MS has not taken a crazy toll on my health. I have yet to face the extent of what other MS patients have. I am not going to lie; I do have vulnerable moments when I can get a bit frustrated or even scared. But I have faith that helps me accept that no matter where MS will take me through out my life, I know that it is all apart of God’s plan for me. This faith has carried me a long way. I am only 22 years old and I do not know where God will lead me in my journey with MS, but I do know that my God will carry me through it.

Prayer:
Our Gracious Father,
We are so blessed to be able to share your word with each other. I pray that you instill in us a faith that will allow us to accept YOUR GRACE. That we may be able to fully rely on You God, for we are nothing with out You. We are not worthy of Your love, but through the finished work of Jesus Christ we are redeemed as Your own.
In Jesus’ name I pray,
Amen


Cover of Not For a Moment by Meredith Andrews
You were reaching through the storm
Walking on the water
Even when I could not see
In the middle of it all
When I thought You were a thousand miles away
Not for a moment did You forsake me
Not for a moment did You forsake me
 
After all You are constant
After all You are only good
After all You are sovereign
Not for a moment will You forsake me
You were singing in the dark
Whispering Your promise
Even when I could not hear
I was held in Your arms
Carried for a thousand miles to show
Not for a moment did You forsake me
 
And every step every breath you are there
Every tear, every cry, every prayer
In my hurt, at my worst
When my world falls down
Not for a moment will You forsake me
- Anisha Mathew 

No comments :

Post a Comment