Sunday, March 22, 2015

Day 36: Not Alone

Read Luke 24
As Christians, we say that God is always with us; but how many of us actually believe it? As incredulous as it may seem, there are many of our own brothers and sisters struggling by themselves because they feel that they are alone in this world. Why is this?
In the passage today, we see that Jesus has resurrected and is no longer captive in the tomb. Instead, the women who went to embalm him were greeted by heavenly hosts who reassured them of the words of their Lord Jesus! These women were in utter distress because they could not find the Lord; they believed that He had left them. However, as it says in verse 8, “Then they remembered His words.” When the women remembered Jesus and His teachings about His resurrection, they were reassured in His awesome power.
The women then rush to tell the Eleven about what they had seen and remembered. It seems obvious that the disciples would believe them, right? After all, they were Jesus’s very own, the closest to Him, many would say. But the Scripture tells us in verse 11, “…they did not believe the women, because their words seemed to them like nonsense.” This incident reminds me of times when my best friends give me good advice but I disregard it and do my own thing. Often times, we are all like this in our spirituality. We can hear the voice of the Holy Spirit advising us in times of trouble, but we disregard His comforting voice for the voice of the world instead. The Bible tells us that even Peter wondered what had happened to Jesus’s body, proving the fact that that even the ones who may seem the most devout fall into the world’s trap.
As the passage progresses, we see 2 men traveling to a village named Emmaus and discussing the divine events prior to that day. Jesus walks with them, probing about their conversation, amazed at their indifference to his resurrection. He chastises them, “Did not the Messiah have to suffer these things and then enter his glory?” in verse 26 and explains the Scriptures to them. Later, when the men realize who Jesus is, He departs. They ask in verse 32, “Were not our hearts burning within us while he talked with us on the road and opened the Scriptures to us?” This brings me to the main point of this chapter: are we also too caught up in worldly things to notice God’s work? He has given us everything that we need to truly seek Him, but it is by our own decision to pursue Him.
The last portion shows us Jesus’s encounter with the disciples. Their initial reaction was fear and alarm, thinking that there was a ghost among them. They realize that it is Him after he shows them his hands and feet. They feed Him and He reminds them of the Scriptures, as seen in verses 46-49, “This is what is written: The Messiah will suffer and rise from the dead on the third day, and repentance for the forgiveness of sins will be preached in his name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. You are witnesses of these things. I am going to send you what my Father has promised; but stay in the city until you have been clothed with power from on high.” It is here that the disciples are seeing Jesus for the final time. One would think that they would be in distress about the departure of their Savior and friend, but the Bible tells us they are the opposite! It says that “…they worshiped him and returned to Jerusalem with great joy.” The last time Jesus left them, there was an entirely different attitude of sorrow and despair. But as we read to the end, we see that the disciples are at peace and full of gladness. This time when Jesus leaves them, they know that His return will be triumphant.
In the same way, when we feel alone, we must take heart in His glorious return. God will NEVER leave or forsake us. Though He is not with us physically, we must find rest in his presence spiritually. As this Lenten season is a stressful time filled with temptation and sorrows, we must find the strength that is only salvaged through Jesus’s redemption. Realize that suffering must precede glory. Many of us flee from the threat suffering brings; we see it as the ultimate evil. We cannot control suffering. We can only control our response to it. Let us rejoice in the peace that only our Savior can provide. It is through suffering that God makes us complete.
While I was writing this, a song that came to mind was “I Am Not Alone”, written by Kari Jobe. As I sing it below, I encourage you to look up the lyrics, which are beautifully written. I pray that you receive solace in His comforting presence.
When I walk through deep waters
I know that You will be with me
When I'm standing in the fireI will not be overcome
Through the valley of the shadowI will not fear


I am not alone
I am not alone
You will go before me
You will never leave me
In the midst of deep sorrow

I see Your light is breaking through
The dark of night will not overtake me
I am pressing into You
Lord, You fight my every battle
And I will not fear


You amaze me
Redeem me
You call me as Your own


-Miriam Easo

No comments :

Post a Comment