Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Day 45: Profound Mysteries


As we are approaching the final days of lent, and as Good Friday is quickly approaching, let us dig in and try to gain a deeper understanding of the radical love that the Father has for us. Often times we read the Passion story and it has no effect on us; we become numb to what happened almost 2000 years ago.  The story of the death and resurrection of Jesus has no impact on our lives. I pray that as we enter into this final stretch of lent, that God renew our hearts and minds and allow us to feel the love that was displayed on that cross. If you are reading this, please take a moment to pray that God never lets the story of His love become a trivial fact in our lives, but rather embolden us to action and to remain in awe of His crazy love.

As we read John 16-18, things seem to get a bit confusing, especially John 17 for me. But there are three profound mysteries that are contained within these chapters that will help us understand the love of Jesus even further.

1) The first mystery can be found in John 16:33, as Jesus states, 
“I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.”
Did you catch that? What looks like a beautiful statement seems to have a contradiction. How can Jesus say that in Him we have peace, but then RIGHT after that state that we will have tribulation? Jesus seems to indicate that in the midst of tribulation we have a peace, as Paul states in Philippians 4:7 that “surpasses all understanding” and “will guard [our] hearts and [our] minds in Christ Jesus." The only caveat for this verse is that, in order for us to have this peace, our Father had to send down His only Son, to be tortured and brutally executed and lose His peace on the cross. The Son of Man had to be broken into pieces in order for us to obtain true peace in this world. This is the same Son who had all the riches and glories in Heaven. The same Son who was being worshipped in heaven by the angels and lacked nothing. As all of John 17 states, Jesus and the Father were one, and He gave up the comfort of all his glory to come down in order to give us eternal life.

2) What exactly is this eternal life?
As John 17:3 states, “And this is eternal life, that they know you the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent”.

The second mystery is revealed in this! Often we believe that eternal life begins when our lives on this earth ends. But Jesus seems to indicate something particular here, that eternal life begins when we enter into a relationship with Him. How could this be? Until we accept Jesus into our lives, we are spiritually dead. We are basically, as a retreat speaker Brad Cauley put it, walking zombies on this earth. But just as God spoke words and gave the world life, it is the Word (who became flesh) that gives us life. Even though God knows all of our sins of our past and all the sins that we will engage in the future, He offers us a chance to actually experience life for the first time.

3) Though Jesus knows our sins, He still loves us unconditionally. This leads us to the third and final mystery that is contained in John 18.
I always wondered one thing, how could Jesus love Judas, especially when He knew that Judas was going to betray Him? One of the 12 disciples, one of His best friends is going to betray Him, yet Jesus allowed Him Judas to be so close to Him, even though He knew that Judas was going to lead Him to death. I often think about if I had a close friend, and if I knew that they were going to shoot me. How would I react? I know that I would avoid them because I knew my life would be in danger. But Jesus knew that in order for the Scriptures to be fulfilled, He had to endure that pain; the pain of His own disciple betraying Him. Often times, I also ask how Judas could betray Jesus for just a couple of silver coins. How could anyone betray the Son of Man so quickly? Then one day I heard something that really convicted me. The radio said something along the lines of, “I am sorry Lord. Judas chose 30 pieces of silver over you, while traded you in for far less.” I was instantly convicted of all the times I chose to indulge in my sin rather than choosing Jesus. How could God love me if I am much worse than Judas? And it is in that moment, I stood in awe of the love of our God.


My brothers and sisters, the journey of our faith is not an easy one. But when I look on the cross and see what the Son of God had to endure, it makes our burden so much lighter. Let us continue to press forward and remain in awe of the One who is awesome.

- Jijo Jacob

No comments :

Post a Comment